Thursday, May 22, 2008

Everybody's Looking For Something

There's a lot of hype about the new Indiana Jones movie coming out this summer. I admit it, I'm looking forward to it. I love the Indiana Jones trilogy. So the prospect of a fourth installment has me giddy!

But I had never heard of the crystal skulls that are featured in the new flick. That is, until now. The Sci-Fi channel recently aired a 2-hour documentary on the mystery of the crystal skulls. It was hosted by Lester "I used to be a journalist, now I host cheezy documentaries" Holt. I'm ashamed to say I watched the entire two hours. Not because it was compelling. Not because it was even informative or thrilling. I watched it because it was disappointing. Poorly produced. And some of the people they interviewed as "experts" are people I wouldn't even allow in my home. They were just that far "out there."

To save you the heartache, I'll tell you that the entire documentary followed one man who owns a "crystal skull." (Whether it's an original sculpture from the Mayans is unkown. Of course, he claims it is.) He believes the skull is one of 13 that was either created by the Mayans or given to them by aliens from outer space. And he believes, as apparently do many people, that the skulls hold secret powers. Some say that bringing the 13 together is the only way to avoid the "end of the world as we know it." (The Mayans predicted that will happen on December 21, 2012.)

But what was really sad was seeing how many people traveled hundreds--thousands--of miles to "worship" this skull. They bowed to the crystal skull. Kissed it. Prayed to it. Performed ceremonies around it. Even though they have no idea where it came from or what its purpose is. How can someone worship an idol that they know so little about?

Like Indiana Jones, everybody seems to be on a quest. Everybody's looking for something these days. Something to fill that void. How sad it is that people are willing to put their faith in a chunk of rock...instead of believing in a Creator who loves them. I'm glad that our Savior left us a love letter that explains His plan for salvation so clearly. I'm glad that He didn't leave the answer to eternal life a mystery. I'm glad that we don't have to worship an inanimate object.

No comments: