Friday, May 27, 2011

Why You (I) Don't Understand God

Sometimes, God just plain humbles you. Sometimes you need a reminder that He is God and you are not. (And by "you", I mean "me.") I've been thinking a lot lately about God's whole plan...and how it just doesn't make sense. I mean, here's what boggles me: God knows the future. So He knew, long before He even created the heavens and the earth, that His prized creation would betray him. He knew that man would turn against Him. He knew we'd create other gods to take his place. He knew we would deny our Maker's very existence. And yet He continued. That blows my mind. If it were me, upon seeing this future, I would've said, "Nah...never mind." But not only did He continue, God devised a plan to give us all a chance to come back to Him. And what a plan it is! We denied Him and HE came chasing after us. Such is the love of God for us!
For those of you who don't know this plan, here it is in a nutshell: God said, (paraphrasing here) "You denied me. You didn't listen to me. You broke my rules. You shunned me, spat at me, kicked dirt in my face. I created you and you proclaimed that you created me. So you don't deserve to be with me. You don't deserve all that I have to offer. After all, you think you can do better on your own. You deserve to spend eternity away from my presence. But I love you. I love you so much that I will give my only son--the son I love--to you. I will allow you to beat him, mock him, torture him, kill him. All so you can be forgiven for what YOU'VE done. Not for what HE has done. He will be blameless. But still he'll die so YOU can become blameless too."
Now wait a minute. I'm sorry, but that plan just plain doesn't make sense to me. Who comes up with that? Who could possibly think that makes sense? God. That's who.
And the reason we don't understand it. Well, He even gave us an answer for that too:
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the LORD. "As the heavens are
higher than the earth, so are my ways
higher than your ways and my thoughts
than your thoughts." --Isaiah 55:8-9 (NIV)
Think about that statement for a moment and realize just how humbling that is. As smart as you are, God is infinitely smarter. As much as you think you understand, you're not even close. Your sense of justice is lightyears away from what His justice really is. Your ability to reason...miniscule in His presence. Anytime you've asked God, "why?"the answer is, "You wouldn't understand if I told you." Anytime you say, "I can't believe in a God who would do something like..." it's because you don't get it. And again, by "you", I mean "me." Humbling. And yet, somehow...empowering.

1 comment:

Brad said...

I know what you mean. I wonder how God could have even tried. Yet He did, knowing there would be grief, sorrow, sacrifice, but from it all.....it shows that we are really worth creating and dieing for. And since that is the case, we should hold Him as the utmost priority as well as ourselves and others. And that is the first two commandments anyway! Wow! It's neat to see it all fit!

The greatest challenge to any Christian is not Loving God though. He stays the same, yesterday, today and tomorrow; He will always Love you. But people?!? That is where the challenge lies. It's the greatest challenge of all. And if We Love Him, then we should be convicted to Love others. And really do Love them, as well as ourselves. It's always been a challenge for me to Love others unfortunately. For some, it comes easy though.