Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Carol Abuse

"It's the holiday season..." And you can't escape them...those holiday songs. At the mall...in the elevator...on the radio. I actually love Christmas songs--well, most of 'em anyway. There's the occasional droll tune that just makes my skin crawl, such as Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer or that monotone kid that sings I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus. And then there's the cheesy, "we just tried too hard to make you cry" type songs like the Christmas Shoes drivel. But the ones that really get under my skin are the stupid commercial jingles that take holiday songs and change the words. "Happy Honda Days!" "Give a, give a, give a Garmin..." "On the fifth day of Christmas my true love gave to me...5 onion rings..." Are you serious?! Can we just leave the holiday songs alone please? Write a new jingle...or use a holiday song as-is...but trust me, you're version of Oh Christmas Tree using only the word "duh"...is not an improvement! My .02 worth anyway. Feel free to let me know what you think.

No comments: