Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Taking Back the Rainbow


I was talking to Becky, my co-worker the other day about rainbows...and wondering how they came to be the symbol for the gay and lesbian movement? When she said, "I think we need to take back the rainbow!"

In Genesis, God tells us that He created the rainbow as a reminder that He will never again flood the earth with water:


I set My rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be
for the sign of the covenant between Me and
the earth. It shall be, when I bring a cloud
over the earth, that the rainbow shall be
seen in the cloud; and I will remember My
covenant which is between Me and you
and every living creature of all flesh; the
waters shall never again become a flood
to destroy all flesh. ---Genesis 9:13-15


So how is it that the rainbow went from representing a promise from God...to representing the gay and lesbian movement?

I think it's time we took back the rainbow.

No comments: