Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Great Quotes from the 15th Century

I read a wonderful quote from a German monk who lived in the 1400's today:
"God often gives in one brief moment that which He has for a long time denied."
-Thomas a Kempis
Hmmm. Ain't that the truth? The first thing I thought about when I read that quote was how God gave me a son, made me a daddy, after years and years of pleading Him for just that. I wish I could say I spent those 15 years of wanting to be a daddy holding onto faith...trusting in God. But instead, I spent them bitter. I spent them angry at my Creator. I spent them refusing to get too close to Him, out of spite.
And then...in one brief moment...God gave. God answered. Regardless of the way I treated Him, He gave me the gift I longed for...for so many years. Man, we have a loving, forgiving God!
Kempis had a couple of other great quotes:
"Be not angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be,
since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be."
and
"If thou bear the cross cheerfully, it will bear thee."
Guess he decided to go all King James English on us for that last one...but I love it! Isn't it amazing that, over 500 years ago, someone had figured out all this stuff...yet here we are, with amazing technology, science, thought processes, and we are still learning these lessons?

No comments: