Wednesday, November 28, 2007

August Rush

My wife and I recently saw the movie August Rush. It was during Thanksgiving weekend. Her parents came down to celebrate the holiday with us...and they decided to babysit Morgan so we could have a "date night." Without spoiling too much, the story is about a boy who grows up in a children's home and is on a quest to find his mother and father. He's convinced that the only connection he has to his parents is music...and he's right. They were both musicians. Turns out, this little guy is a phenom. He can play a guitar pretty much the first time he picks it up...he learns how to master piano within an afternoon...and his first composition is picked up by the New York Philharmonic. What makes his character so interesting is that he hears music in everything. The noises of the city...the rush of wind through a wheat field...the shuffle of feet on the subway. Everything is a song. I related to this kid on so many levels. No...I'm nothing close to a musical genius. But I've been accused of "turning everything into a song" on many occasions. In fact, I've often joked that I "have a relationship with music." I don't know how to explain it any better than that. I just feel like it's a part of me. Me without music isn't me at all. I also grew up in a children's home...so I related to many of the feelings young August was dealing with. I highly recommend the movie. It's a "feel good" movie. It's a good family flick...though I will tell you that the only disappointing part of the story is that August was born as the result of a "one night fling" between two musicians...though they end up pining for each other for years. Check it out.

1 comment:

Miss Melis said...

Thanks for sharing! I'm anxious to see it! - Melissa